Business Development Manager (Oakland)
Global Footprint Network is a growing, international non-profit that promotes a sustainable economy by advancing the Ecological Footprint, a tool that makes sustainability measurable. The Ecological Footprint has become one of the most widely used sustainability metrics in the world, the only tool that comprehensively measures human demand on the planet against what the planet can supply. It is increasingly used by governments and investors to guide decision making in a resource constrained world.
Global Footprint Network recently identified unprecedented opportunities for growth in earned income and is seeking a Business Development (BD) Manager to take our efforts to a new level. Earned income typically comes from projects, licensing, fees for service, and online products. The BD Manager will specifically focus on income from the finance industry and national governments. This position reports to the VP of External Affairs.
- Achieve the annual BD goal, the amount of which is currently $1.7 million;
- Develop and revise annual BD plans in coordination with VP of External Affairs;
- Manage and coordinate all project opportunities with executive staff, Regional Directors, the Research team, and other staff;
- Liaise with European, Asian, American, and Global teams on project opportunities in each region, and assist staff in developing proposals, cultivations, collateral, visits, and events that help move projects towards signed contracts, primarily in the finance industry and with national governments;
- Manage the BD pipeline, across both the Oakland and Europe offices including monitoring quarterly outlook, proposal pipeline (closed won, lost, hot, open, dropped), and regional/owner goals to meet goals.
- Negotiate with potential clients various elements of each contract, including rates, deliverables, timelines, desired products, and responsibilities;
- Manage methods to increase revenues from existing clients, and attract new potential clients through research, networking, referrals, and entrepreneurial planning;
- Effectively communicate Global Footprint’s case for support, including composing correspondence to clients and strategic talking points for client meetings;
- Maintain accurate information in our Salesforce database, including client records, tracking revenue, forecasting revenue projections, and producing reports;
- Maintain materials for project development (proposal templates and costing templates) for Global Footprint Network staff.
- Coordinate BD schedules; timely meetings with external clients; agendas, notes, and follow-ups; build ongoing positive relations with clients through timely email and phone contact; schedule internal BD meetings.
- Hand-off of sold projects to the Research team.
- Assist with other revenue projects as assigned.
- More than three years experience in business development, sales, contracts, project management, or negotiating, with a demonstrated track record of success with clients;
- Experience with data sales to the finance industry and sales to governmentagencies is desired;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to convey complex science or economic concepts in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner;
- Demonstrated ability to identify new clients, and to cultivate and sustain positive relationships with existing clients;
- Disciplined self starter, able to make excellent progress with work load;
- Highly energetic, entrepreneurial, and strategic-thinking with the ability to organize tasks for maximum efficiency and to meet tight deadlines;
- Accuracy in handling details of tasks;
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Salesforce, and internet research.
- Commitment to the mission of Global Footprint Network and to growing its resources;
- B.A./B.S degree, in business, sales and marketing, international relations, environmental science, communications, public relations, economics, or a related field.
Salary And Benefits
Global Footprint Network offers a competitive salary range. A benefits package is provided, including Health insurance, Dental, 403(b), and other benefits. This is a full-time position located at Global Footprint Network’s offices in Oakland, CA. Our collegial, open-plan office is located in a neighborhood with good transit access. Our communal lunches are light-hearted and often delicious.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line MUST include the term “Business Development Manager.” Global Footprint Network is committed to diversity in the workplace. For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org.Global Footprint Network is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, we are unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.Global Footprint Network is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.