Research Intern (Oakland)
Global Footprint Network promotes a sustainable economy by advancing the Ecological Footprint, a tool that makes sustainability measurable. Together with our partners, we coordinate research, develop methodological standards, and provide decision makers with robust tools to help the human economy operate within the Earth's ecological limits.
Global Footprint Network is seeking interns to assist its Research team. The Department of Research & Standards within Global Footprint Network strives towards the continuous improvement of the science of the Ecological Footprint and develops projects rigorously grounded in its methodology.
Recent graduates with strong quantitative, analytical or coding skills are encouraged to apply. A degree in Environmental Policy, Forestry, Environmental Science, Climatology, Computer Science, Engineering, Earth Science, Agriculture, Aquaculture, Biology, Ecology, Urban Planning, Resource Management, Geography or Business or a related field is desired. Advanced undergraduate students are also encouraged to apply.
We are seeking interns to perform specific tasks focused on the following:
- Carbon Footprint analysis
- Forest land use analysis (forestry research)
- Grazing-land use analysis (livestock sustainability)
- Fisheries analysis
- Cropland use analysis (agriculture research)
- Spatial research on land use and primary productivity (ArcGIS and data sources)
- The development of a Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) model for Ecological Footprint analysis
- MySQL database and scripts, and/or Matlab script calculations
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Assist with a range of technical and project work
- Summarize results and research to be presented to the Research team
- Draft methods proposals
- Review literature and collaborate with other groups or researchers in the research area of special interest
- Collaborate with staff across the organization to gather information required for research projects
- Provide recommendations for improvements in methodology
Successful applicants will possess the following:
- Interested in sustainability, global resource issues, ecological economics, and/or resource analysis
- Strong understanding of sustainability and its current applications
- Strong quantitative abilities
- Excellent writing, research and time management skills
- Excellent computer skills, including intermediate to advanced Excel capability
- Motivated and responsible self-starter
- Basic statistics desired, but not required
- Experience and competency in SimaPro, VBA, ArcGIS, Matlab, MySQL, GAMS, statistical analysis software, general coding highly desirable but not
Salary And Benefits
We prefer full time interns, though the minimum commitment is 16 hours per week for 12 weeks. Hours are flexible. Free, healthy lunches are provided most days. We are willing to work with a university to arrange academic credit. At this time all internships are unpaid, volunteer positions.
Send resume and statement of career goals. No phone calls. Email subject line MUST include the term “Research Intern – [area of special intern/skills]” Contact: email@example.comGlobal Footprint Network is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.