Accounting Manager (Oakland)
Global Footprint Network is a growing, international non-profit that promotes a sustainable economy by advancing the Ecological Footprint, a tool that makes sustainability measurable. The Ecological Footprint has become one of the most widely used sustainability metrics in the world, the only tool that comprehensively measures human demand on the planet against what the planet can supply. It is increasingly used by governments and investors to guide decision making in a resource constrained world.
Global Footprint Network is seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented, individual who will manage our internal finance and accounting operations including the monthly close cycle, financial reporting, and internal controls for headquarters in Oakland, California and two international offices. This person will produce consolidated reports based on activities in all branches and provide support for all programs and departments. This individual prepares reports for, and advises, the President, Management Team & Board in all finance matters. This position reports to the VP of Operations.
- Manage the financial resources of the organization including accounting, finance, organization-wide budgets, banking, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger and financial reporting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and organization/contract policies and procedures
- Oversee staff bookkeeper in the Oakland branch and bookkeeping staff/personnel in other branches
- Safeguard organization assets through the maintenance of proper controls, and ensures integrity in all financial transactions and accountancy matters, including audit systems
- Formulate financial targets and annual budgets in accordance with the strategy determined by the President, Management Team and Board
- Perform functions of Controller which is to maintain and safeguard the company's financial policies, schedules, rules and regulations, and makes sure that all departments are informed of and adhere to them
- Manage cash flow, organization resources and policies regarding cash requirements, credit, and project commitments, and hiring plans
- Prepare and supervise regular financial reports, and key management reports (such as the Cash Flow report) for all branches of the organization
- Consolidate financial reports from all international branches and produce consolidated financial reports and narrative analysis for the President, Management Team and Board
- Supervise preparation of the financial information in the company’s Annual Report, regular reports for management of ongoing projects, and intermittent reports for internal departments and external funders and clients;
- Oversee implementation of correct accounting, cash management systems, audits and annual tax agency reporting, and ensure timely compliance on all annual/bi-annual filings required by government and statutory bodies in all offices, including international branches
- Prepare for annual year-end audit process with external auditor and acts as primary liaison with all outside auditors and government agencies
- Provide financial planning and related ongoing advice for the President and Management Team to ensure fiscal literacy of decision makers
- Success Criteria: The Management Team has timely financial reports, including consolidated financials, which serve as a cornerstone for effective governance and decision making. The organization’s audit report comes in with no changes requiring a “management letter.” The President, Management Team and Board are well informed of cash forecast and financial results, so that they can make the best decisions for the organization. The organization securely maintains its exempt status.
Department Functions to Oversee
- Accounts Receivable – management, creation and tracking of invoices (FFS, travel reimbursement, marketing materials, subtenants); creating invoices in foreign currency in Excel; matching in US currency in Quick Books
- Accounts Payable – management, processing of bills
- Credit card – track and match receipts, code credit card statements for Job # and Program; post and reconcile statements
- Vendor relations – finance related matters such as billing discrepancies.
- Deposits – receive payments, code checks with Fundraising department input, make deposits, post income on regular basis for bank accounts
- Reporting – produce regular reports for hours, grants, budgets, Financial Statements for management and other items as needed
- Purchasing – prepare accounting documentation for, review and approve purchase of items
- Banking – work with banks, including international accounts, on discrepancies, reporting and follow ups
- Audit Prep – prepare files and documentation for audits
- Support VP of Operations – management review process, reconciliation, budgets, tax support, special needs
- File management – keep clean, logical files for shared use.
- Employees – help employees understand how their work impacts the financial health of the organization
- Spreadsheets – prepare management spreadsheets as needed
- Timesheets – monitor and report on staff timesheets for project management, staff management and payroll
- Fundraising - Assist with reporting for grant proposals.
- Minimum of eight years experience in accounting and finance; including general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, budget –forecasting general audits and financial analysis
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- At least five years experience in non-profit accounting is required
- Three years QuickBooks and Excel software experience
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and double entry bookkeeping
- Experience working with international operations is highly desired
- Familiarity with international banking and currency conversion for consolidated reports
- Experience preparing executive level reports
- Ability to perform meticulously with minimal supervision and ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Collaborative and solutions oriented
- Committed to global sustainability
Salary And Benefits
Global Footprint Network offers a competitive salary range. A benefits package is provided, including Health insurance, Dental, 403(b), and other benefits. This is a full-time position located at Global Footprint Network’s offices in Oakland, CA. Our collegial, open-plan office is located in a neighborhood with good transit access. Our communal lunches are light-hearted and often delicious.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line MUST include the term “Accounting Manager.” For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org. Due to the volume of employment applications, we are unable to respond to each application individually.
Global Footprint Network is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to diversity in the workplace.