Soutenez nos Programmes(Cette page n'est pas encore disponible en français)
Today, the pressure humanity puts on the planet, its Ecological Footprint, is 50 percent greater than the planet's ability to withstand this pressure. It now takes the Earth one year and six months to regenerate what we use in a single year. This global ecological overshoot is depleting the natural capital on which all of life depends.
Signs of this environmental degradation are everywhere. Collapsing fisheries, loss of forest cover, depletion of fresh water systems, accumulation of CO2 in the atmosphere and the build-up of carbon dioxide are just a few noticeable examples. If continued, overshoot will permanently reduce the Earth's ecological capacity and will lead to ecological collapse.
To reverse this trend, it is imperative that individuals and institutions recognize the reality of ecological limits and make decisions consistent with these limits. By scientifically measuring the supply of and demand for ecological assets, the Ecological Footprint provides a resource accounting tool which reveals ecological limits, helps communicate the risk of overshoot, and facilitates sustainable management and preservation of the Earth's critical ecological assets.
How can you help?
We invite you to join us in creating a world where we can all live well within the means of one planet. Together, we can create tremendous positive change. Everybody can make a difference. We encourage you to help in whatever ways you can, donating money, time or creating new opportunities.
Click here to make a donation to Global Footprint Network today.
- Encourage your organization to become a partner of Global Footprint Network.
- Encourage your governments, businesses, schools, and nonprofit organizations to calculate their Ecological Footprints and to reduce their impact on the planet.
- Estimate your own Ecological Footprint at: www.footprintnetwork.org/calculator
- Volunteer your time for Global Footprint Network.
- Become an intern or sponsor an intern at Global Footprint Network.
- Link your web site to our web site.
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter and forward it to your friends.
- Tell your friends, colleagues and family about us.
For more information on how you can get involved with Global Footprint Network, contact us at email@example.com.